Preparing for a Trip to the Indoor Landfill
A 2013 CBC news, Canadians “produce more garbage per capita than any other country on earth” based on a report from the Conference Board of Canada. Statistics Canada’s Waste Management Industry Survey: Business and Government Sectors analysis “In 2008, Canadians produced over 1,031 kilograms of waste per person…. Of this total, 777 kg went to landfills or was incinerated while 254 kg was diverted from landfill. Overall … over 8 million tonnes was diverted or processed through material recovery facilities or centralized composting operations.”
Open to our many residential, commercial and industrial customers throughout the Windsor-Essex Region, our Windsor Disposal Services’ 50,000 square foot facility is licensed to process up to 1,000 tons of waste per day. Many are using our bin rental service for our affordable rates, prompt deliveries and timely pickups as well as lockable bins if required and rollaway units for apartment buildings. We also sell the popular Herby Curby® totes.
We’re proud of our service and our community and are in business to help alleviate pollution in our community through our indoor landfill waste and recycling centre. To help you in your recycling efforts, and to avoid frustration at the depot – why load your car with materials that can’t be recycled – here are some tips on “preparing for a trip to the indoor landfill.”
First, here’s how the depot works:
- Load acceptable materials into your vehicle;
- At the depot, we establish the gross weight of your vehicle/trailer with our public weigh scale;
- We then direct you through our paved yard and show you where to unload;
- You unload your waste; and
- You will return to the weigh scale where we will determine your billing weight and provide you with a billing ticket or invoice. Your payment is then processed. We are pleased to accept Visa, MasterCard, Interac and cash. For our commercial and industrial customers, we encourage you to consider applying for a corporate charge account
That part is simple enough, the confusion is always around what is and is not accepted – you just want to get rid of your stuff, but we have the responsibility to ensure that once it is in our facility, all safety precautions are met, while staff and customers are protected from exposure to hazardous materials. Windsor Disposal Services accepts solid, non-hazardous waste at our indoor landfill including:
- Cardboard - clean and free of contaminates;
- Metal - clean and free of contaminates;
- Recyclables - keep recyclables out of the landfill, we sort your recyclables and place them in piles which are then baled or placed in containers whenever possible;
- Wood - clean and free of contaminates, pallets are a good example of the type of wood recyclables we accept;
- Wood shredding - reduce hauling costs and avoid landfill fees with mobile wood shredding from Windsor Disposal Services; and
We do not accept liquids or hazardous materials. This list includes but is not limited to the following: acids; antifreeze; car care products; drain cleaners; gasoline; kerosene; oils of any kind; paints / varnish / stains; pesticides; propane tanks; solvents; or thermometers containing mercury. We do accept electronics but they will be processed as waste and not recycling.
If you have any questions about our indoor landfill or concerns about the items you wish to dispose, contact Windsor Disposal Services at 519-944-8009 or toll free at 1-888-767-8009 today. All questions are greatly appreciated.